We all know running is good for us...as long as you listen to your body and don’t overdo it, but how does running really improve your overall health and vitality? Well, according to the team here at Knuckle Lights, we could go on for days about why we think running is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Here are our top 5 reasons why we lace up and attack the day...before sunrise, of course ;o)
- Improved Mental Health - When endorphins are released into your system (this occurs after about 20 minutes of consistent running) you get a literal body and mind ‘high’...causing you to feel happier, have the strive to go further and faster and even reduce pain levels!
- Strengthens Immune System - Running helps build up your tolerance for fighting germs. We’ve, somehow managed, to get through this entire last winter without coming down with the flu. Certainly helps get through the cold, dark, rainy Oregon winter sans illness!
- Relieves Stress - Running boosts the body's serotonin levels helping to alleviate the everyday stress of a full work/home life!
- Increased Joint Strength and Resilience - Not only will running increase the strength of your tendons and ligaments but it will help with healing making recovery time shorter for runners v. those who don’t run.
- Elevates Confidence - Once you get into a running schedule you’ll find you have more confidence. You’ll feel more in control of your life and body and with the possibility of weight loss, you may even start to feel better about yourself as a whole!